Itsowl-IGel (hedgehog) – a storage for hazardous material, defending itself
Spikes are the natural defense system of a hedgehog. When sensing danger, it curls up to protect itself. Detecting and encountering dangerous situations in storage places for hazardous material is a lot more complex. The perception of first indications for a containment breach, like leakages, can already be too late for a reaction. While there are already commonly used test procedures for recognizing such leakages, most have proven to be unflexible, expensive, and often not attractive to use due to high costs. Therefore, only solutions for a more or less timely close detection are in use nowadays, but there are no solutions for predicting critical storage conditions.
Within the project itsowl-IGel (hedgehog), a complete, permanent and predictive "containment failure check" should be developed. This includes focusing on two main goals:
- Developing an intelligent storage unit with sensor-based Condition Monitoring
- Additionaly to the storage unit, developing an automated dispenser for hazardous materials, allowing the portioning of liquids
- Intelligent storage unit
- Fast detection of damage cases
- Safe and exact portioning and extraction
- Automated initiation of countermeasures
- Analysis à Identification à Countermeasures
As a result, an intelligent, autonomous Dispenser with sensor-based damage identification methods for hazardous materials will be created. Regarding the storage of hazardous materials, for the first time components from the automation industry and sensor technology will be combined in an intelligent, networked way, enabling the technology leadership in this field of application.
² Last authors